The Truth Box: Launch Day



Launch Day

I considered setting my alarm for 6:00. Realized that 6:30 was probably plenty of time. Providentially awoke at 5:00 and barely made it on time to my appointment at 8:30. Today I finished collecting "samples" for my lab work culminating with a blood draw at the Center. For people with normally functioning colons, perhaps the collection process is routine. For me, a calamitous event almost took place. I won't go into details to spare you the yuck-factor!

Now I play the waiting game. About a month from now I will receive my dietary sentence. Sounding negative again? Guilty. I do hope they find some distinct food sensitivities but I have a wish list of which forbidden foods will NOT appear on the no-consume list.

The elimination diet begins today. I fasted until the blood draw but now comes the challenge of what can I eat? I began with a Lara Bar and a cup of tea, no milk or sugar. A fruit smoothie for lunch? Dinner will consist of baked chicken breasts with roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots. Not so bad. I can do this!

My household is not yet equipped for this new way of eating. My go-to foods in the fridge and pantry, mostly all now proclaimed off limits. Cooking and grocery shopping will require more deliberation. Maybe that's not such a bad thing after all. Being deliberate about reading a label, what goes into my grocery cart and into my stomach probably should have been happening all my life.

Well as they say, today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Anticipating Healing,
Caroline

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

4 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger mhauens said...

Hang in there! The reward in the end will be your payment. Praying for you. Love , Lou

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Katie said...

I have just caught up with your last few days. I too am going to be trying this route. My "first day of the rest of my life" is most likely two months away as I have to wait for the doctor to have some time.
I too have some foods I hold very tightly to, sugar, dairy and all bread crusty and wonderful. So I understand the impending doom perception. Even as I watch others who are on this road get better, look better and have an overall positive response... I hang back. Do the above mentioned foods really give me what I desire? Comfort that lasts longer than it takes to swallow? Meaning that exceeds the sweetness of some sugary concoction melting on my tongue??? Or am I running after the shadow rather than the substance that creates the shadow? Perhaps this is the "food for thought" that I need to chew on for awhile!
Know you are not alone.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger The Truth Box said...

Thanks girls! Well said, Katie. You write with eloquence! Good luck to you.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger mtee said...

I know you will adjust to whatever restrictions you are given. There are so many ways to cook/eat healthy. Recipes that substitute, foods that satisfy. Think of it as an adventure in dining. Imagine all the new foods and recipes you can try. You have always been a strong, resilient person. Walk through this door with hope and confidence. And share with us all you find along the way!

 

Post a Comment