The Truth Box: The Pom Pom Story



The Pom Pom Story



I’ll diverge from my food stories for brief time but here is a brief wedding weekend update: Made it thru the rehearsal dinner with my oil and fresh squeezed lemon on my salad. Yummy, really! At the last minute I went with a BBQ Chicken option over Grilled Salmon, finding out later that the salmon came with a large portion of butter sauce. I think I made the right choice. Only ate one cookie (C’mon, they were from the Bonbonerie!) Got a very pleasant gluten-free dinner at the reception with salad and fresh fruit for dessert. Not bad!

Now onto Pom Pom’s!

A couple of years ago my oldest son married a wonderful girl he met during his college days and had reconnected with several years later. We liked her immediately and saw she was a great fit for our son. At one of her bridal showers I gave her a set of pom pom's. I told her I was no longer serving in the role of head cheerleader for my son, that was her new job. It seems like a silly gift but to me, it packs a powerful message. Wives need to be encouragers!

Last weekend number two son married the sweetheart of his dreams. Again, at one of her showers, I gave her a set of pom pom's. She is the daughter of a Senior Pastor of a church several towns away and received the gift at the church shower where I knew only a few relatives. The bride read the note of explanation to the entire room and several people commented afterward saying they were touched by the sentiment.

This weekend at the wedding, one of the women from the church shower approached me as I left the dance floor (I did go to college during the height of disco so I do have a few moves!). She referred back to the pom pom gift and my note to my DIL. She said she went home that day from the shower thinking she was not the cheerleader for her son that she should be. They had experienced a few rough times and she knew deep in her heart that she needed to step up her encouragement to him. Then she thanked me for the message of encouragement, meant for my DIL but also received by her. It was icing on the cake to hear that story.

You never know who is listening.

Cheering for all women,

Caroline
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

1 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger mtee said...

You always had the moves my dear!! Ah the memories. I love your pom pom sentiment as well. It's so true.

 

Post a Comment