The Truth Box: Heide, may she rest in peace



Heide, may she rest in peace

Yesterday I had to put my 15 year old dog down. We got her as a puppy. We like small dogs so we picked the runt of a litter of small dogs. She was a great dog. Our first dog was Bart. We got him in the desert of Las Vegas back in the early 80's. He lived all over the world with us. We called him the "wonder puppy".

Heide was just Heide but she was wonderful. I am completely serious to say that just in the last month or so did she start to bark when she wanted out. Don't tell me you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Before, she would just come and stare up at you when she wanted something. It was a little frustrating but then you get used to the habits of your animals and learn to pattern your life around their quirks.

Speaking of going out, we would have to talk her into it on cold or rainy days. Almost push her out the door. But she would go and do her thing. Once during a very cold and snowy time she wouldn't go off the back deck to do business but that was an exception to her normal obedient behavior.

Our favorite trick was rolling over for a treat. She also did a mean "stay" when we slid her a treat across the floor. She would stare at us till we gave the word to snag the item.

I want to change my theology to include souls for animals. I want to see her again. Most pets have such personalities, surely they have a soul. Perhaps God created them with sinless souls. That way they don't need the redeeming process of Christ's blood. They are just a-ok just the way they are. That would be great. I would love to see my favorite animals in heaven.

Or maybe they are like the angels. These creatures abide in heaven and yet have no soul. Hmmm. Something to ponder.

I loved her and already miss her so much that my chest hurts.

And I thought my blisters were painful.

Caroline
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

1 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all A-OK just the way we are. And a theology that doesn't include animals in an afterlife is in need of tweaking, sister. God makes way way way more animals than humans; I think this means God wants more of them around...I mean, what a dull afterlife with no animals!

I'm going to pet my dog right now...thanks for making me appreciate him more this morning. RIP, Heide.

 

Post a Comment