The Truth Box: cracked pots and other worn things



cracked pots and other worn things

As I unloaded the dishwasher today, I noticed a small chip in the lid of my favorite teapot. My initial reaction was one of disappointment but quickly I realized there was no threat to the functionality of the pot so the chip is purely a cosmetic issue. A similar thing happened with my Harrods tea towel. It sports a couple of holes from well use.

Saving things probably comes from being an only child. If I keep it in a cupboard it is safe and protected in case I might need it someday. But these two items show a little progress on my part. I am actually using some of the things I love. If I don't get out my favorite things now I will look like a fool should I die young. In fact, that thought motivates me to enjoy them now.

What if I die tomorrow? If I lived in light of that possibility, I would probably do things differently. Live life to the fullest. Grab life with gusto. Savor each moment. Live as if there is no tomorrow. I hear these mantras but don't truly embrace them.

This requires more pondering. Not pulling out all the stops, depleting myself of all material and emotional resources and yet living my life with a little more verve.

Caroline
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

1 Comments:

At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb used to keep her grandmother's china (which Deb inherited) unused in the cupboard (I've always used my grandmother's china...I love it). One Thanksgiving we dragged them out and used them, and I thought Deb's mother would flip out. But it was so much fun! And they are so pretty that it seems very wasteful to keep them tucked away and pristine. Let them chip. Let them break. Let them enjoy what they were made to do. Just like we're supposed to do, right?

 

Post a Comment