The Truth Box: Friends in all the right places



Friends in all the right places

After 20 years in one place, we may be looking at a move. I can't even believe it even as I type the words. 30 years ago I married an Air Force fighter pilot and expected to move all over the world for the rest of my life or at least until retirement. That changed when he sought a more stable career with the airlines. Ha! The joke is on us.

Back during our early years we moved every three years or so. I found myself getting restless at about the two and a half year mark. It was exciting to wonder where we would be sent and who my next close friend might be. I seemed to gather a few lifetime friends at every assigned base we passed through. Sometimes we were lucky enough to see them again but often the friendship was maintained through cards, letters and phone calls.

Everyone knew the moving routine so people made friendships quickly. None of this messing around, wondering if someone looked fun to get to know. It was "you snooze, you loose." when it came to building friendship circles. Your soul mate just might be moving in six months so you better get cracking on those lunch dates.

It is different where we live now. Many people stay in one place a little longer. Most of my good friends now have been here most of their married lives. We have watched each other's children grow up, gone to each other's 40th birthday parties, and spent endless summer nights on our decks, sipping wine and swatting mosquitos.

Who will invite me over to their decks if I move away? Bring me matzo ball soup when I am sick? Plan overnight girl trips? Help me clean and organize my house? Care enough about my kids to pray me through the tough times? What on earth will fill the hole in my heart if I have to leave these people?

No, nothing on earth,
Caroline

Caroline
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

2 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger FraSha said...

Noooooooooo!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Not Alice said...

I think you should stay.

 

Post a Comment