The Truth Box: It's my birthday!



It's my birthday!


Today is my birthday. When I was younger, I shared my special day with three other classmates; Jayne, Tom and Rodney. I've lost touch with most of them but now I have a brother-in-law who shares this same birthday. So who cares, you might be thinking. Well ... I don't really like to share anything! I am basically an only child (although I have a very close step brother and sister) and I just don't share well! Want to borrow a book? Ok, but I will write it down that you have it. Need to see one of my DVD's? Fine, but you will likely get a call if its not back in a week. Really, I hold my possessions closely. Too close.

Upon reflection of todays events, I see where many people shared generously with me. Here are a few examples.

I signed up for a ladies bible study which meets every Thursday morning. I have made it to three out of eight of them. My teacher and fellow classmates share abundant grace with me for my missed mornings, sending me texts and messages encouraging me to come back whenever I am able. I cannot see myself extending this kind of grace to others in a similar situation.

Late this morning, after a very rough start, I went for tea with my hubby. We have a favorite shop and a favorite tea. Sometimes we read and sometimes we talk. Today we did some of both. He shares his heart and his life with me in oh so many indulgent ways. I love him for his abandoning love for me.

After lunch I went to visit a friend. It was raining so I snaked up and down the backroads to get to her house. (I have a tiny fear of wet leaves on the roads.) When I knocked on her door she showed surprise, admitting she forgot our appointment but was delighted anyway to see my face. We get together about once a month to pray. Its a sweet, sweet time and rather hard to explain but nonetheless, a treasured gift. She shares some of her deepest longings and fears, entrusting them to me as a young child trusts a parent's grasp in crowded street. What an honor to partake in another's joys and burdens.

Evening has come and all but one of my children have checked in. They lead busy lives but often choose to share their time with me even when I know they would rather be doing something else. For each moment we can spend together, I am truly grateful.

No cake this year... I can't eat it. The above picture is from last year when my wonderful hubby baked my favorite cake and made my favorite icing ... all by himself. This year, instead of a cake, my knitting teacher drove all the way to Whole Foods and practically spent her husband's entire paycheck to buy me gluten-free chocolate cupcakes! How sweet is that!

No pile of gifts save for those I just mentioned above. I'd rather have grace, love, relationships and a wonderful family than anything wrapped in a bow.

Still celebrating,

Caroline

Labels: , , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment